After you install ArcGIS Web Adaptor, you must configure it to work with a server site. You can configure the Web Adaptor to work with a GIS Server, Image Server, Workflow Manager Server, GeoAnalytics Server, Notebook Server, or Mission Server site. You'll do this from a configuration web page or from a command line utility that was installed with the Web Adaptor. As a security measure, you can only access the configuration page and command line utility from the machine hosting the Web Adaptor.
When you open the configuration page, the current status of the Web Adaptor is displayed. This indicates whether the Web Adaptor has been previously configured. To view the platform type and version number of the Web Adaptor, click About on the configuration page.
For full instructions on how to configure the Web Adaptor, see the sections below.
Configuring the Web Adaptor from the configuration web page
To configure the Web Adaptor from the configuration web page that was installed with the software, follow the steps below.
- Open the Web Adaptor configuration page in a web browser. The URL is in the format https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/webadaptor.
- Select the type of server you want to configure with the Web Adaptor. You have the option to configure a GIS Server, Image Server, Workflow Manager Server, GeoAnalytics Server, Notebook Server, or Mission Server site. Click Next.
- Enter the machine name for one of the servers you are registering in your site. This machine name will be used to discover all of the machines participating in your server site and register them with the Web Adaptor. The machine name should be in the form server.domain.com.
- Provide a user name and password for an account that has administrative privileges to the server site. Typically, you'll use the primary site administrator account user name and password you defined when you created the site. If you disabled the primary site administrator account, you'll need to specify an account with administrative access to the site.
- If you are configuring a GIS Server, Image Server, Workflow Manager Server, or GeoAnalytics Server site, you can choose whether users can administer the site through ArcGIS Web Adaptor. By default, administration of the site through ArcGIS Web Adaptor is enabled. The following are considerations for this option:
- When administration is disabled, external users cannot access ArcGIS Server Manager and the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory through ArcGIS Web Adaptor. Also, ArcGIS Desktop users cannot establish administrative or publisher connections to ArcGIS Server. You can still make user connections from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Server whether this option is enabled or disabled.
- When administrative access through ArcGIS Web Adaptor is disabled, you can access Manager and the Administrator Directory and connect to the server in ArcGIS Desktop using a direct URL to one of the ArcGIS Server machines in your site as follows:
- To access Manager, use the URL format https://server.domain.com:6443/arcgis/manager.
- To access the Administrator Directory, use the URL format https://server.domain.com:6443/arcgis/admin.
- To create a server connection in ArcGIS Desktop, use the URL format https://server.domain.com:6443/arcgis.
- If ArcGIS Server is configured with web-tier authentication, you must keep administration enabled through ArcGIS Web Adaptor. This allows users in your enterprise identity store with publisher and administrator privileges to publish services from ArcGIS Desktop. When users in these roles connect to the server in ArcGIS Desktop, they must specify the ArcGIS Web Adaptor URL.
- Click Configure to apply your settings to the Web Adaptor.
If the web server where you installed ArcGIS Web Adaptor is configured to use a forward proxy, disable it while registering the Web Adaptor. Otherwise, you will be unable to access the Web Adaptor configuration page.
When the configuration is successful, machines recognized by the Web Adaptor are listed at the bottom of the configuration page (highlighted in green). You can return to this page at any time to see the list of recognized machines and adjust the Web Adaptor settings.
Configuring the Web Adaptor from the command line
You can configure the Web Adaptor using the command line utility (ConfigureWebAdaptor.bat) in <ArcGIS Web Adaptor (Java Platform) installation directory>\WebAdaptor\<current version>\java\tools.
The available parameters are as follows:
ConfigureWebAdaptor.bat -m <Mode> -w <WebAdaptorURL> -g <MachineName|URL> -u <Username> -p <Password> -a <AdminAccessEnabled>
<Mode>—The component with which the Web Adaptor will be configured. By default, this parameter is set to server, meaning that the Web Adaptor can be configured for use with GIS Server, Image Server, Workflow Manager Server, or GeoAnalytics Server. To configure a Notebook Server or Mission Server site, use the parameters notebook or mission, respectively. If you are configuring the Web Adaptor for use with Portal for ArcGIS, specify this parameter as portal.
<WebAdaptorURL>—The URL of the Web Adaptor that you want to configure from the command line. This is the same URL that would be used if you were accessing the Web Adaptor configuration page in a web browser. If the Web Adaptor was installed on a port other than the default of 80, specify the port in the URL.
<MachineName|URL>—The machine name for one of the machines in your server site, for example server.domain.com. You can also use the server machine URL instead of the machine name. If you are configuring the Web Adaptor with ArcGIS Server, the machine name or URL will be used to discover all of the machines participating in your site.
<Username>—The user name of an account that has administrative privileges to the server site. For ArcGIS Server, this account may be the Primary Site Administrator account entered when the site was first created, or an account that has been assigned administrative privileges. For Notebook Server and Mission Server, enter the user name for the Primary Site Administrator account used when the site was created.
<Password>—The password of the account that has administrative privileges to the server site.
<AdminAccessEnabled>—The option to enable administrative access only applies to ArcGIS Server. Enabled administrative access (true) allows the ArcGIS Server Manager and the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory applications to be accessed through the Web Adaptor. If administrative access is not allowed (false), these applications can be accessed using a direct URL to one of the servers in the site. For example, ArcGIS Server Manager can be accessed using http://machine:6443/arcgis/manager, and the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory can be accessed using http://machine:6443/arcgis/admin. When configuring Portal for ArcGIS, Notebook Server, and Mission Server, administrative access is required and enabled by default.
<ReindexPortal>—Indicates whether to reindex the default content within the portal when registering the Web Adaptor. This option is useful if you intend to configure your deployment with a reverse proxy or load balancer. Web Adaptor registration takes less time without indexing. Once the webContextURL is configured, the built-in content will reference the webContextURL.
Example: ConfigureWebAdaptor.bat -m server -w https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/webadaptor -g server.domain.com -u siteadmin -p secret -a false -r true
After configuring the Web Adaptor
Now that the Web Adaptor has been configured for use, consider the items below.
Adding or removing server machines
If you add or remove server machines from your site, it takes the Web Adaptor 1 minute to recognize the changes to your site. If you want the Web Adaptor to immediately recognize the added or removed machines, you can reconfigure it by following the instructions above.
Installing multiple Web Adaptors
You can provide different web entry points into your server site by installing multiple Web Adaptors. Doing so makes your site more highly available to clients, provides support for legacy applications, and allows publishing and administrative access to specific users in a highly secure environment. For more information, see Deployment scenarios.
Multiple Web Adaptors can be installed on the same machine at the same time, or they can be installed on separate machines. To install multiple Web Adaptors on the same website (port), use different names for them. For example, two Web Adaptors named arcgis cannot exist on the same website. If you want multiple Web Adaptors with the same name, you must install them on separate websites (ports).